Monday, October 26, 2015

Life-Giving Marriage




This post is part of Sue Detweiler’s #MarriageRocks Blog Tour - I feel honored to join up with some other great bloggers. To learn more and join us, CLICK HERE.
 

Both thorough and concise, 9 Traits of a Life-Giving Marriage offers insight and tips for couples seeking a marriage that honors God. I enjoyed the way the author broke down the traits, how problems can manifest if they are neglected, and practical ways for couples to work on each area.

This volume was both short and easy to read, and also full of quality content. Detweiler challenged the way I've applied scripture in my marriage, examining the heart behind the verses - radically changing how they are lived out.

Specifically, her explanation of Ephesians 4:26 - don't let the sun go down on your anger was eye opening to me. I've fought with my husband well into the night, only getting crankier and more accusatory as the night goes on.

Instead, she explains, taking the verse to mean not to dwell on your anger, sometimes going to bed and getting some rest - letting go of your anger if only for the evening - can be the best approach to a swift conflict resolution.

If only for this insight, the book will serve my family well. Thankfully, however, Detweiler has other wisdom to impart in the book's pages.

Acceptance is the first trait she tackles, and its a doozy. How many times have I sat around with girlfriends gabbing about all the things wrong with our spouses?

What drives wives (and husbands) crazy about their spouse are often the personality quirks which brought them together in the first place.

Do I love it when Jay is devoted and totally focused on doing something special for me? YES. Am I incredibly annoyed when he treats a client the same? You bet!

And that's why I love him.
Having been accused of being honest to a fault, I thought perhaps I'd have an easy time of the the section on the topic. I couldn't be that lucky.

 
Trait # 4 Honesty: Ground Rules for Honesty in A Marriage
1. Watch your Words
2. Listen Attentively
3. Speak Honestly
4. Keep a Positive Perspective

To paraphrase the great Ian Malcolm: I'm too busy being self-righteous about the fact that its true, I don't stop to think if its something which should be said.



Over the past 7 years, God has been refining my words, attitudes, and actions as a strive for a marriage which honors Him and my darling. Maybe in another 43 we'll have this figured out. Until then, I am gratiful for resources like this book to help me along the way.




Is It Possible to Enjoy a Strong and Healthy Marriage  - -Till Death Do Us Part? Yes . . . with God!

Sue Detweiler’s new book, 9 Traits of a Life-Giving Marriage, will help you:

*Heal the broken places in your marriage
*Strengthen your relationship with your spouse
*Understand God's plan for your marriage
*Revive your relationship with God's transformative power 

Order your copy today!

I was given a free copy of this book as a participant in the 9 Traits of a Life-Giving Marriage book launch team. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment