Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Training Tuesday - What's Next?

After an epic marathon training cycle, I'm eager to get started on my next quest for a PR. My goal is to hit a PR for each distance. One down, five to go!






Up next, I'm tacking the 10K distance.I ran the Expo 10,000 race last year, and set my current PR of 55:19. My speed in that race was leftover from a winter of intense half marathon training. This year, I plan on building from my stamina base from marathon training and adding a bit of speed.



I've tried to be conservative for the past week(ish) to make sure my body is truly recovered from the marathon. Worst thing I could do to hurt my chances at a great race time would be injure myself.




Sunday
Planned: 26.2
Actual: 26.45
I can't run in a straight line to save my life.




Monday
Planned: 30 min walk
Actual: REST


Tuesday
Planned: 30 min walk
Actual: REST

My body was sooooooooooooooo tired, but my legs felt good. I actually took a day off work to lay around and recover.

Wednesday
Planned: 2 mile run
Actual: Walk
My mom called and wanted to meet for lunch. I figured recovery week was the perfect time to walk like we use to. She has a bad knee/ankle, so this wasn't much of a cardio workout but it was good to get the legs moving again.

Thursday
Planned: 4 mile run
Actual: 8 mile run
Stupid, I know, but this was a "farewell Pete" run. Kelly wanted to do 8 and we went along with it. Hot and miserable. Energy was still low from the race.

Friday
Planned: REST
Actual: REST

Saturday
Planned: CROSS
Actual: Pool walking
Spent the day with my mom and aunt in Gatlinburg. Didn't do any actual swimming, but walked around in the pool and kept the legs moving. Once again not a cardio workout, but got the blood flowing to the ole legs.

Sunday
Planned: 4 mile run
Actual: 4 mile run
So crazy to me for the weekend "long" run to be 4 miles. I'm doing the Hal Hidgon intermediate training plan, so my mileage will top out at 8 miles the week before the race.

Monday:

Planned: 4 mile run
Actual: 4 mile run 
Ran a bit fast for my "easy" pace, but the legs felt okay.
 
Tuesday
Planned: 8X400
Actual: 4 mile run
I'm not exactly 100% yet, so I decided to hold off on speed work until next week. I ran at lunch with Kelly, and our easy paced turned into a 9:03 m/m average (starting at 9:16 and getting progressively faster). This run felt great. BUT


I'm signed up for a race this weekend, 10K distance. One of my Ragnar teammates is participating in the Mountain Man Memorial March in memory of her brother, and has asked us to join her. We're running our own races though. I signed up for the 10K not knowing how recovered I'd be at this point.

 Kelly, Christal, and me - last fall

Since the legs are feeling good, I want to set a baseline for my 10K speed and then work to build on it for the coming weeks. At this point I don't think I'll be able to PR - true to its name, the race has an intimidating elevation gain. Still, I can get a good idea of where I am and translate it into a goal time for Expo.




2 comments:

  1. I have had lots of rest these last two weeks also- and I ran Saturday for the second time (Wednesday was pathetic) and on Saturday my legs actually felt okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never run a marathon, so I can't imagine how your legs feel afterward! It sounds like you know your body well and aren't pushing too hard so as to injure yourself.

    ReplyDelete